Did you know that the average human attention span is just 8.25 seconds? That's shorter than the goldfish's 9 second attention span.
Top 6 Attention Span Statistics
Research has revealed that humans have shorter attention spans than the goldfish, on average.
- The average human's attention span is just 8.25 seconds – that's 4.25 seconds less than in 2000.
- The average human attention span decreased by nearly 25% between 2000 and 2015.
- The goldfish has a 9 second attention span, which is higher than the average human has.
- Children with autism struggle to stay focused.
- 39% of Americans have forgotten one simple piece of information or have lost one item they use on a daily basis in the last week.
- At most, users will read 28% of the words during an average visit of a web page, but 20% is more likely.
What Is The Average Attention Span?
Average Human Attention Span
1. The average human has an attention span of just 8.25 seconds.
2. The average human attention span decreased by nearly 25% between 2000 and 2015.
3. Now humans are lagging behind the goldfish (9 second attention span) in terms of our ability to focus.
How Long Is A Child's Attention Span?
A child's attention span is impacted by factors like their environment, the child's interest in the activity, and how many distractions they have.
Average Teenager Attention Span
According to developmental researchers, the average 14 year old teenager has an attention span of 28 to 42 minutes.
16 year olds have an average attention span of 32 to 48 minutes.
Extending Your Child's Attention Span
Here are a few simple strategies that might help your child improve their focus:
- Allow your child to bring creativity to tasks they don't enjoy.
- Let your child use fidgets.
- Have frequent check-ins with your child.